All Saints, Combeinteignhead
The first mention of a church on this site occurs in a Bishop’s Register of 1259, when Sir Henry de Brattone was instituted as Rector. However, the fine Norman font, with its cable twist and star mountings, provides evidence of a church in the 11th century. The earliest parts of the present building, such as the east wall of the south transept, may date from this period.
Many of the carved oak rood screen dates from around 1450, while the Elizabethan carved bench ends in the north transept are among the best in the country. There are ancient memorial tablets, and a fine arched altar tomb. The restoration work of 1850 and 1887 includes windows depicting the Ascension and the Good Shepherd.
As the original title of the church is unknown, it was dedicated to ‘All Saints’ by the Bishop of Exeter in 1986.
The church is open daily, and a service is normally held every Sunday.
Enquiries concerning Holy Baptisms, Weddings or Funerals should be addressed to Rev Andrew Down, tel (office) 01626 3343457 or 01803 813403, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs Clare Wreford, Tel: 01626 906352